Gobblin’ Good Turkey
Thursday, December 6th 2007, 11:20 am
News On 6
Ingredients: 1 large turkey breast
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup smart balance Omega Plus buttery spread
½ cup rosemary
½ cup sage
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 can Cola of choice (for basting)
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. Add Smart Balance spread, sage, rosemary and olive oil to food processor. Pulse the mixture until a paste is formed.
3. Put the turkey breasts on a work surface. Carefully run your fingers between the skin and the flesh from 1 end, being careful not to pull it completely off, creating a pocket.
4. Stuff half of the herb paste under the skin of each breast, and spread it evenly under the skin. Then rub outer skin with olive oil.
5. Transfer the breasts to the pan. Insert pan into preheated oven for ~3 hours.
6. Using a pastry brush, baste the breasts with basting sauce (optional) every 30 minutes.
7. Insert oven-safe food thermometer into center of roast. Turkey breast is done when internal temperature reaches 170° F.
Source: Adapted recipe by Julie Pryer, RD/LD, Siegfried Health Club, St. John Medical Center