Bartlesville Man Returns Home After 72-Day Battle With COVID-19

Tuesday, May 26th 2020, 7:57 pm
By: Amy Slanchik

BARTLESVILLE, Okla. - A Bartlesville man who spent almost 50 days on life support while fighting COVID-19 is now at home and got to hug his fiancé Tuesday for the first time in months.

Noah Lewis fought COVID-19 for 72 days in three different healthcare facilities. The past three weeks he was at at Adams Parc (Post-Acute Recovery Center) in Bartlesville, less than a mile from his home.

Lewis walked out of Adams Parc Tuesday, inching closer to home with each step, and stopping to hug his fiancé, Debra Decker, for the first time since March.

"Emotion just floods over you and you're so happy and tears of joy but you're crying, you're thankful that he's here to fulfill the rest of your life together,” Decker said.

Before stepping inside their home, he was greeted by neighbors, balloons and streamers, and a "Congratulations" sign.

"To have him here, is a miracle,” Decker said.

"I had reasons to fight really hard for my life,” Lewis said.

Lewis said those reasons were simple: Debra, his family and his dogs.

"I didn't want to give up. I wasn't ready. I'm only 40, and I wasn't ready to give up,” he said.

His first trip was to Jane Phillips Medical Center, on March 16th. Then he spent most of April and the beginning of May at a hospital in Tulsa. In total, he spent 48 days on life support.

"We have learned to trust God in everything. I have MS. He's taken care of me, now it's my turn to take care of him,” Decker said.

Noah still had some recovering to do and spent most of May at Adams Parc in Bartlesville.

The couple's plan before COVID-19 was to get married May 2nd.

"I can always pick another day; I can't pick another Noah," Decker said.

As for a new wedding date, the couple is hoping to get married this September.

Until then, they're looking forward to their first home-cooked dinner together in a while: spaghetti and meatballs, with garlic bread.