Dewey Woman Thanks 4 Teenagers For Saving Her Home From Fire


Wednesday, March 3rd 2021, 9:23 pm
By: Chinh Doan


DEWEY, Okla. -

A woman credits a group of teenagers with saving her house form catching on fire Tuesday night.

She said the fire in Dewey was put out quickly because the teenagers happened to be nearby and jumped into action to warn the people inside.

Wynona Boone told News On 6 the fire started on the front porch from her cigarette. She said she is grateful it did not spread to the garage thanks to the teens’ quick actions.

Boone said she will forever be grateful to Keiara John, Mikeal Thomas, Brooklin Parker and Devin Jackson.

"I was going to bed about 9:15, 9:30 last night and woke up to a loud banging on the door,” explained Boone. “Walked around, smelled smoke coming through the house, and opened the door and the whole front of the house was up in flames."

The teens said they were driving from Dewey to Bartlesville when they stopped at the intersection in front of Boone's house and noticed smoke and flames.

"We didn't hesitate,” said John. “We just went and knocked on their door and told them, and then we all got the fire out.”

Boone said if the fire had spread a just few more feet, she and her 76-year-old mother would have lost their home.

"If it weren't for you, it could have turned out a whole lot worse, and I really appreciate that,” said Boone emotionally to the group of teens. “You guys don't know how much.”

Now, the charred landscaping is a reminder how a small flame could make an impact, like the teens who cared enough to stop it.

"We felt pretty good to help someone like that, yeah," said Thomas.

Dewey Fire Chief Jacob Cox told News On 6 he commends the teens for their actions and stressed the importance of being careful around things that can catch fire. Cox would also like to remind everyone to report all fires to the department.