Green Cabbage Salad With Spiced Pepitas
Thursday, August 26th 2021, 12:48 pm
By: News On 6
TULSA, Oklahoma -
Welcome to the Cooking Corner! Healthy Eating Coach, Sharon Stroud, is back today with a summer veggie recipe! She's going to show us how to make a Green Cabbage Salad.
- ½ cup unsalted pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- 4½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons raw local honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ medium green cabbage, cored, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 6 cups
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 3½ oz. (¾ cup) crumbled Cotija cheese
- Put pepitas in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently until the pepitas smell fragrant and start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ tablespoon of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, lime zest, honey, the remaining ½ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Use a fork or wire whisk to whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, bell pepper, scallions, jalapeno, and ¼ cup cilantro. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Add the remaining ¼ cup of cilantro, cheese, and half of the spiced pepitas, and toss to combine. Serve topped the remaining pepitas. Serves 4 to 6.