A South Carolina-based U.S. Air Force squadron wants contractors to quote it a price for a kraken costume.
The 628th Support Squadron, which is headquartered at Joint Base Charleston, put out the official request on August 24, 2018.
The squadron doesn't say how much it's willing to pay for the costume. Instead, it asks the vendors to suggest a price.
The request includes some pretty specific requirements:
1. A minimum of 8 and maximum of 10 tentacles will be on the costume, with 2 arms free for mobility purposes and option of free hand, or gloved hand, exposure.
2. Fabric choice for costume needs to be water repellant - samples required for selection.
3. Easy cleaning capability as multiple individuals and events will result in soiling. Machine washable preferred to dry cleaning.
4. Cooling system required due to high temperature and humidity while wearing the costume. Options to be recommended for selection of type of system (fan, ice pack vest, or other system)
5. No clothing on the Kraken.
6. Designed for someone between 5’9” and 6’2”.
7. Preferred Costume Colors (web color indicated in parenthesis): a. Primary Body Color: Deep Navy Blue (152338) b. Underside Tentacle Color: Gray-Blue (2e446b) c. Eye Color: Yellow (f9ed32)
8. Case required for transporting and storing the costume. Wheels preferred.
9. 628 FSS has final approval before costume goes into production.
10. Production timeline not to exceed 12 weeks.
The deadline for submitting a proposal was this afternoon. The squadron hasn't revealed the winning bid, or if it even received any.
Read the request here: