Mac And Cheese Doughnuts
Monday, August 20th 2018, 1:35 pm
By: News On 6
- 2 1/2 c elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c skim milk
- 1 c canned pumpkin puree (plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 c reduced-fat-shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions, omitting the salt if desired, and reducing the cooking time by 2 minutes so it is just al dente. Drain macaroni in a colander; set aside (do not rinse).
- Place butter in same pot; set over medium heat. After butter melts, stir in flour; cook, stirring, until light golden brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add pumpkin puree, Cheddar cheese, salt, paprika and garlic powder; stir well until all ingredients are combined and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Turn off heat; stir in cooked macaroni.
- Coat two 6-hole nonstick doughnut pans with nonstick spray. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly among holes; divide macaroni mixture among them. Bake until tops are golden brown and bubbling, about 15 min.
- Let pans sit for 10 minutes and then invert doughnuts onto a dish; serve.