Cousin Released After Being Questioned For Deadly Shooting At Tulsa Fireworks Stand

Thursday, July 6th 2017, 4:06 pm
By: Emory Bryan

Tulsa County detectives released a person of interest after being questioned in connection with a deadly shooting at a Tulsa fireworks stand.

Jack Ulrich is the 27-year-old man accused of being part of the armed robbery at a Tulsa fireworks stand July 4th. He turned himself in for questioning and was released pending further investigation.

Wednesday, his family’s attorney Nathan Milner issued a plea saying, "We hope he comes forward and gives his side of the story."

7/5/2017 Related Story: Tulsa Family Shaken After Death Of 15-Year-Old At Firework Stand

It all started July 4th where a robbery and shooting took place at a fireworks stand near Charles Page and 65th West Avenue. Johnny Mize Sr. said two men grabbed a $600 box of fireworks and ran, then fired a gun at Mize’s son, who was chasing them.

The workers at the fireworks stand said the robbers fired first; detectives won't say if they found evidence of that, but they do have evidence of shots fired at the getaway truck.

Thursday, a small memorial popped up at the spot where 15-year-old Jake Ulrich died, on the side of the road about a mile from the fireworks stand.

The sheriff's office is defending itself over questions about its response to the armed robbery.

Deputies said the first report came in at 11:20 a.m. At 11:42, with no deputy in sight, News On 6 arrived and started interviewing Johnny Mize Sr.

It wasn't until just before the noon that a deputy arrived to ask questions and block off the crime scene, almost 40 minutes after the shooting started.

The first 911 calls sent deputies to the truck where Jake Ulrich was dead or dying. Deputies found him slumped in the passenger seat and tried to revive him.

At the same time, other 911 callers reported the truck stopped up the road and a man ran away from it yelling for someone to call 911.

Sheriff's spokesperson Casey Roebuck said deputies responded first to the most urgent report.

"We initially, the first call was to a man slumped over in a vehicle. That was a medical emergency, so I think the first deputies responded there first to render aid," she said.

The case was almost ready to go to the District Attorney’s Office before Ulrich turned himself in.