Suspect Arrested In Tulsa Police Standoff, Bomb Threat

Thursday, August 18th 2016, 7:24 am
By: News On 6

Tulsa Police arrested a man Thursday after they say he claimed to have a bomb and planned to blow things up. It happened at an apartment complex west of the University of Tulsa.

Police were in a standoff with the man for a little over an hour, taking him into custody shortly after 7 a.m.

The suspect has been identified as Nicholas Cardonia, 33. Police said Cardonia was at an apartment complex and claimed to have an explosive device.

When officers arrived, he was standing on a dumpster, saying he had an "electro-magnetic bomb" and threatened to blow things up.

According to an arrest report, Cardonia refused to get off the dumpster and eventually ran across Lewis. He threw a punch at the first officer to catch up with him, police said.

Police took him into custody after using pepper balls and a Taser. He was booked on complaints of making a bomb threat, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer. Cardonia, who police say is a transient, is being held on a $65,500 bond.

Cardonia was arrested August 11 after police said he climbed up on the roof of an apartment building near Kilkenny's Irish Pub and threw flower pots at police officer. He was arrested that date for public intoxication and obstructing officers.

8/11/2014 Related Story: Police: Tulsa Man Climbs Balcony, Throws Flower Pots At Officers

Officers did not find an explosive device, according to Officer Leland Ashley, Tulsa Police.

Police had traffic blocked around the apartment complex as they investigated the scene. There were no evacuations.

The location is near a Habitat Humanity build in the Kendall-Whittier area. Volunteers are building a model home that will eventually be used by a Tulsa Public Schools teacher from Kendall-Whittier.

The University of Tulsa tweeted to students just before 7 a.m. to avoid the area.

The followed it up after the man was arrested:

The followed it up after the man was arrested:

Emergency Announcement: ALL CLEAR - The Emergency situation is resolved-Shuttle service will resume shortly. ALL Clear

— University of Tulsa (@utulsa) August 18, 2016


Tulsa police took a man into custody near 4th and Lewis after he claimed to have a bomb.