Volunteers Turn ONEOK Field Pink For Tulsa’s Race For The Cure

Friday, September 25th 2015, 7:20 pm
By: News On 6

Tulsa's Race for the Cure is Saturday morning, and volunteers were hard at work Friday to get things ready for the thousands of people expected at ONEOK Field.

Last year, 7,200 people showed up to race, and volunteers hope to match that number again.

It’s one of Tulsa's biggest race events, and Saturday morning the area around ONEOK Field and parts of downtown will be shut down for the race.

The ballpark turned pink as volunteers got ready for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.

"There are so many things you have to do, and it takes a lot of volunteers. It takes our staff and everybody coming together to make this thing happen," said Tulsa chapter, executive director Christy Southard.

Southard is also the daughter of a breast cancer survivor. She's been involved with the race since it started in Tulsa 19 years ago and said the race is special to those affected by the disease.

"You've got people walking along beside you, they're encouraging you, they're standing along the race route cheering you on, and that's exactly what this is. It's everybody coming together," she said.

It’s survivors, fighters, friends and family.

Southard said, "One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime and it's very hard to know anyone that hasn't been affected by this disease."

And it's not just women.

"So, when you see a gray breast cancer Komen shirt, that means they're a male breast cancer survivor, and not everybody realizes that," said Southard.

The race includes three different events, and there's still time to sign up.

"If you want to do the timed event at 7:30 you can come register all the way up to 7:15, 7:20. Then we've got the un-timed 5K, that starts at 9, you can register right up until then, and then the 1-mile starts at 10, so you can register all the way up until that time too. We'll take anybody who wants to come out and register, and we want to make sure they get that opportunity," Southard said.

Of the money raised, 75 percent stays in Tulsa to help fund local programs offering breast health education, cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program.

If you can't make it to Saturday’s race, 6 In The Morning Saturday will have special coverage starting at 7 a.m.

6 In The Morning’s own and breast cancer survivor, LeAnne Taylor, will have live reports from the race.