Suspect In Tulsa Amber Alert No Stranger To Justice System

Monday, May 5th 2014, 11:51 am
By: Dee Duren

Editor's Note: Previous versions of this story identified the girl who was the subject of an Amber Alert. We have since removed the child's name and photograph due to the nature of the complaints against the man accused of kidnapping her.

The man police say abducted an 8-year-old Tulsa girl from a playground Sunday evening is a registered sex offender with a history of convictions in more than one Oklahoma county. Michael David Slatton, 33, is being held for the kidnapping, lewd molestation of a child and injury to a child.

Slatton was captured in a dramatic scene early Monday near a wooded area in Sapulpa, and the child was returned to her family.

A search of court records shows Slatton is no stranger to the criminal justice system and was just released from prison in December 2013, according to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.

Previous convictions include sexual battery, burglary, drug possession, first degree robbery and knowingly concealing stolen property, all from a series of arrests in 2005.

Slatton was found guilty of sexual battery in a Rogers County incident in December, 2005. According to court documents, he forced his way into a 58-year-old woman's apartment as she unlocked her door.

5/5/2014 Related Story: Tulsa Police Cancel Amber Alert After Girl Found Safe

"As soon as the victim opened her door, the male suspect grabbed her around her waist with force and picked her up and threw her on the ground," an affidavit states.

Slatton then began to choke the woman, kissing and licking her face, records state. After a short struggle, police say he grabbed the woman's purse and left, telling her that he would kill her if she tried to follow him or watch him leave.

He was convicted of first degree robbery and sexual battery in this crime and sentenced to eight years in prison.

Earlier that same year, Rogers County authorities say Slatton broke into the J.M. Davis Gun Museum in Claremore. Slatton was reportedly shown on surveillance video entering the museum with keys and trying to disarm the alarm system.

When the alarm sounded, he ran away, records state.

Slatton told authorities he got the keys from his mother and claimed he was going to retrieve her cell phone from the building. He was found guilty of second degree burglary in that incident.

Also in 2005, he was also arrested for possession of methamphetamine, possession of a controlled drug, public drunk, possession of another's debit card, knowingly concealing stolen property and forgery. He was convicted of those crimes in January, 2006.