One jar Spaghetti sauce or use your favorite spaghetti sauce recipe and 1 cup water.
• 12 oz package of fresh baby spinach
• 15 - 7 x 3 1/2-inch lasagna noodles (from two 9-ounce packages)
• 3 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese* (28 ounces)
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• ½ cup finely chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb mix
• 1 large egg
• 2 cups coarsely grated low-fat Italian Blend cheese (8 to 9 ounces), divided
• For sauce: make your own tomato sauce or use a purchased spaghetti sauce and mix with 1 cup water
• For spinach rinse, drain and pat dry.
• For lasagna:
• Open lasagna package and separate noodles. It is not necessary to precook the noodles for this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2- inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil.
• Mix ricotta, Parmesan, and lemon peel, garlic, onions, and herbs in medium bowl. Mix in egg.
• Spread 1/2 cup sauce thinly over bottom of prepared dish. Top with noodles, arranged side by side and covering most of bottom of dish. Follow with a layer of spinach leaves. Sprinkle with about 1/3 cup cheese. Top with 3 noodles and half of ricotta mixture (generous 1 3/4 cups) and another layer of fresh spinach. Continue to layering until all ingredients are used ending with shredded cheese. Cover with foil.
• Bake lasagna until heated through and bubbling at edges, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove foil 10 minutes before removing from oven. Remove from oven. Let set for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.