Roasted Red Pepper Beef Stew
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers (not in oil), drained
1 pound bottom round steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
½ cup reduced-sodium beef broth
3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put roasted peppers in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
2) Sprinkle beef with cumin, salt, and pepper. Spray Dutch oven with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
3) Add onion and celery to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, 5 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
4) Add broth and simmer until it is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add beef, carrots, tomatoes, and roasted peppers. Bring to simmer, cover, and transfer to oven. Bake until beef is very tender, about 1 ½ hours. Stir in beans and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and stir in parsley.
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup quick-cooking (not instant) or old-fashioned oats
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
1 teaspoon water
3 pounds apples, peeled and thinly sliced
¾ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 7×11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
2) To make topping, combine ½ cup flour, oats, ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl.
Add butter and pinch with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Add water and firmly press mixture to form clumps.
3) Combine apples, cranberries, remaining ¼ cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour, ginger, and vanilla in large bowl; mix well. Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is golden, 55 minutes–1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.