Falling Tree Limb Sparks Tulsa House Fire

Saturday, December 21st 2013, 2:51 pm
By: Dee Duren

Tulsa firefighters say a falling tree limb sparked a house fire in the 2900 block of East Virgin Street Saturday afternoon.

When crews arrived there was heavy smoke showing from the home. TFD Capt. Josh Rutledge said it is believed it began as an electrical fire.

A heavily iced tree limb fell, taking out the weather head that connects the house with power lines, according to Captain Josh Rutledge, Tulsa Fire Department.

"God, I just lost everything," resident Dale Johnson said. "Just thank God, everybody was gone at the time it happened."


12/21/2013 Related Story: Tulsa Family Loses Home To Overnight Fire

Rutledge said crews have been very busy with calls related to the ice storm, from downed power lines to car wrecks to medical calls.

"It's been a very hazardous day," he said. "There are a lot more hazards besides just the roads."

He warned residents to stay away from any downed line as they are probably still energized.