A local union is stepping up to raise funds for a city worker injured in an accident Thursday morning.
The worker, whose name has not been released, sustained severe burns to his upper torso, head, and hands, after his crew hit a natural gas line, sparking a fire. The crew was moving a water line at a south Tulsa apartment complex at the time.
The AFSCME Local 1180 says preliminary reports indicate the gas line wasn't marked. The union says a private contractor is responsible for marking underground lines.
The union says it will be setting up an account for those who wish to contribute to the affected workers, the details of which will be announced soon. Until then, if you want to help out, you can send donations the AFSCME Local 1180 office at 1285 South Detroit Avenue in Tulsa, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.