Murder At South Tulsa Apartments Spurs Second Shooting 5 Hours Later

Sunday, August 26th 2012, 11:38 am

By: News On 6

Tulsa police are investigating a deadly Saturday night shooting that spurred a retaliation attempt about five hours later.

Police responded to the Fairmont Terrace Apartments at E. 60th Street and Peoria Avenue, where Quincy Jones, 24, had been shot in a stairwell about 10:30 p.m.

Sergeant Dave Walker of the Tulsa Police Homicide division said Jones was in front of an apartment building talking to a group of men.

They got into a argument, and a man pulled out a handgun and shot Jones. The suspect is described as a light-skinned black male, 6 feet tall and 175 pounds, Walker said in a news bulletin.

Jones made his way to a nearby apartment, where he collapsed and died just before 11 p.m.

An investigating officer performed CPR, but Jones was pronounced dead at the scene, according to TPD Sergeant Ted Umbarger.

Umbarger said officers took another man to the station to question him about Jones' murder, but allowed him to return home and didn't name him as a suspect.

When that man went back to the apartment complex, he was shot in the torso and neck, police said. He was transported to a local hospital where he was said to be stable.

He was later identified as 24-year-old Tyrig Saaffir.

Umbarger said the two shootings are related.

"Homicide detectives are actively working on developing a suspect in this case," Sergeant Dave Walker said Sunday afternoon.

Anyone with information on the crime or the suspect's identity should call Crime Stoppers at 918-596-COPS or the Homicide Tip Line at 918-798-8477.

Quincy Jones is the 31st homicide in Tulsa this year.


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News on 6 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

August 26th, 2012

April 18th, 2022

April 18th, 2022

April 18th, 2022

Top Headlines

December 9th, 2022

December 9th, 2022

December 9th, 2022

December 9th, 2022