Three-Year-Old Girl Shot In Dispute Over Stolen Car

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 2:15 pm
By: Tess Maune

A three-year-old girl was shot and wounded near the Tulsa Country Club just after 12 p.m. Wednesday.

Tulsa Police said the three-year-old was in a car when she was hit.

It happened in the 1100 block of North Xenophon Avenue.

EMSA took her to a Tulsa hospital with a wounded foot, and she is listed in fair condition.

Police say the car the shooting suspects were driving was stolen early Tuesday morning.

The owner of the stolen car was driving with his young daughter Wednesday, when he recognized his car.

Police say the man called 911 as he followed the stolen car.

Shortly after that, police say the man called back saying his three-year-old daughter had been shot inside the car.

Police believe the suspects in the stolen car realized they were being followed and shot at the victim's Honda Accord.

"Last couple days, we've seen people, what happens when individuals have guns and things like that. It turns into a very violent and dangerous situation," said Leland Ashley, of the Tulsa Police Department.

Police say four suspects jumped from the car and ran off.

Two men were arrested, one with the help of a police K-9 unit.

A third suspect was found inside a home nearby, where police say she was living.

Police are still searching for the fourth suspect and the weapon.

Residents of the neighborhood where the shooting happened, Chris and Miranda Springer, said their neighborhood is normally quiet.

I looked out my window and I saw a cop with his gun and he had it pointed out there," Chris Springer said. "It's kind of an odd hour for this to happen. I mean, it's the middle of the daytime. I was really—I was panicking, kind of. Kind of scared."

Miranda Springer said the whole incident made her feel a little less safe in her neighborhood.

"I'm gonna definitely keep my eyes open on them and keep a lookout, 24/7, get an alarm system or something," Miranda said.

As for the three-year-old girl, she was taken to a Tulsa hospital. Police say the bullet grazed her right foot and that she should be okay.