Judy's Homemade Mustard
Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 1:46 pm
News On 6
Slightly sweet and spicy, this homemade variety packs more flavor than the store-bought variety and is extremely simple to make.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or more if you desire a sweeter mustard)
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper (or finely ground black pepper)
- ½ cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Toast mustard seeds in a small skilled over medium heat until they begin to pop, about 1 minute.
- Toss them into a medium microwave-safe bowl and cover until cooled completely.
- Transfer to a spice grinder and pulse until finely ground.
- Place back in bowl and add mustard powder, sugar, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in vinegar until well combined.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, until hot.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cool and store in refrigerator for up to 1 month