Emily Baucum, News On 6
SKIATOOK, Oklahoma -- One family knows all too well, those 4th of July dazzling displays can be deadly. Nineteen-year-old Austin McCloud of Skiatook died Sunday night while lighting fireworks in the backyard.
Just outside of Skiatook, in the quiet Bridgeport subdivision, multiple generations of the McCloud family celebrated Independence Day in their backyard.
Austin McCloud's family members say they were having a cookout. Eating, laughing, having fun.
One family member said, "thirty minutes later -- boom. Life changed in an instant."
McCloud lit a firework and when it went off, it hit him in the throat. Family members immediately called 911 but McCloud died on the way to the hospital.
They're heartbroken at how quickly the family gathering turned into a family tragedy.
Family members shared his wedding pictures, the happy memories still fresh in their minds, he was married just weeks ago, April 22nd.
McCloud worked as a welder and leaves behind his wife, two-year-old son and three-year-old stepson. The McCloud family is gathered at the home, still processing the tragedy.
One family member says she wondered how they would cope with hearing all the fireworks shows Monday night. She says she will never use fireworks again -- and hopes people stop and think about the risk.