Gunman, Victim In Tulsa Hills Shooting Had Protective Orders Against Each Other

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 4:58 pm
By: News On 6 & Ashli Sims & Lori Fullbright, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa Police said a gunman who shot his ex-girlfriend inside a salon at the Tulsa Hills shopping center Thursday afternoon shot and killed himself.

It's the second time this week shots were fired inside a Tulsa business.

6/2/2011 Related Story: Two Arrested After Police Recover Guns Connected To Deadly Tulsa Shootings

Police said Charles Walker walked into SportsClips Haircuts about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, looking for his ex-girlfriend, Shelby McClain. 

"Ex-boyfriend apparently came in and told everybody to get out but the girl he used to date," a woman who works nearby said.

Start the slideshow

Officers said Walker locked himself in the store with McClain, who's been the store manager for three years, and then shot her.  She was able to run out of the back of the store.

EMSA spokesperson Chris Stevens told News On 6 the 29-year-old woman was transported to the hospital in serious condition. 

Tulsa Firefighter Tim Smallwood owns a nearby business and was at the shopping center when the shooting happened.  He helped treat McClain at the scene and said she had a wound to her neck and her arm.

"I just tried to make sure the scene was calm and to reassure her that she was going to be fine," Smallwood said.  "She was really, of course, nervous and scared, and just letting her know, 'you're not going to die, you're going to be fine.'"

Officers found Charles dead inside the store a few hours later.

One of McClain's co-workers said Shelby and Charles had just broken up on Monday.

"She changed her cell phone number, she moved, but I don't know what the breakup was about or anything," Miklynee Easley said.

On McClain's Facebook page, she changed her status on Monday from in a relationship to single.  From her posts, it appears the relationship was rocky: engaged last August, then she said it was complicated.  All was better in May, but then it fell apart again and on Tuesday, records show she got a protective order against him.

On Wednesday, he got one against her. They were supposed to be back in court June 13th.

His family came to the scene and was clearly devastated by the news that he'd killed himself.  A family friend was at a loss for words.

"All I can tell you is start praying, the devil is busy," she said.

Shelby's Facebook page says she has two children.

"It just shows you this kind of stuff can happen anywhere in the city of Tulsa," Smallwood said.  "It's domestic and you can't keep domestic from happening. I heard someone say, 'I can't believe that's happening over here.'  Guess what city, it happens everywhere."