4 slices bacon, or turkey bacon
2 c. dried small-shaped pasta, such as mini bow-ties
2 c. fresh corn kernels, or 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small jar diced pimientos, drained
¼ c. thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. grated orange zest
2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 or 2 (to taste) garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cook bacon in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat until crisp; remove to a paper-towel lined plate to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta well, and then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking; drain well again.
3. Pour cooled pasta into a large bowl; add corn, beans, pimientos, green onions, and chopped parsley. Stir to mix well.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice and garlic; add to pasta mixture and mix gently but thoroughly.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper; cover and chill for several hours, or overnight.
6. Just before serving, crumble cooked bacon over salad. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 servings
Kitchen Kimberley's Tip:
• Bacon can be omitted, if desired.
• For best flavor, make this salad a day in advance to allow the flavors to mingle.
• Find more great recipes like this one in my cookbooks and on my website: www.kitchenkimberley.com