Witness In Sweeney Murder-For-Hire Case Dead After Holding Girl Hostage In Tulsa

Monday, April 4th 2011, 7:40 pm
By: News On 6


TULSA, Oklahoma -- A 34-year-old criminal is dead and an 11-year-old girl is safe after a seven-hour hostage standoff ended early Tuesday morning.

If the name Allen Shields sounds familiar it's because he's the same man named as a co-conspirator in the murder for hire death of Tulsa businessman Neal Sweeney.

10/29/2010 Related Story: Man Charged In Tulsa Murder For Hire Case Released From Jail

Police say this all started on Monday, April 4, 2011 at around 5:30 p.m. when Shields broke into his ex-girlfriend's house in the 5000 block of North Utica Place.

Investigators say this is the second time in a little over a year that he has done this.

Monday night, his ex-girlfriend managed to escape but the girl was still in the house. This is the same girl who called 911 in February, 2010 to report Shields broke into her home and was hurting her mother.

Police said Shields brought a "homicide starter kit" to the home that night that included a gun, handcuffs, and sleeping pills. 

Following his arrest in 2010, Shields pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault and battery.  Prosecutors dropped four other charges, including kidnapping and burglary.

3/25/2010 Related Story: Tulsa Man Charged With Kidnapping Ordered To Stand Trial

On Monday, when officers arrived at the house they began negotiating with Shields over the phone. Eventually Shields let the girl go.

"Once outside the residence it was reported there was at least one or two gunshots heard inside the residence, at that time we did not know if the individual had shot himself or maybe had just fired a weapon," said Tulsa Police officer Leland Ashley.

Police say they used different tactics including firing rounds of tear gas and pepper balls into the house in order to try and get Shields to come out.

Just after midnight, officers entered the home and found Shields already dead.  Police say he apparently shot himself.

Shields was due in court on Monday but the district attorney said Shields did not show up.