Oven Baked "Fried Chicken" With Flax Seed
o 2 - 3 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
o 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
o 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
o 4 Tbs ground or milled flax seed
o 1/2 tsp garlic powder
o 1/2 tsp black pepper
o 1/4 tsp parsley
o 1/4 tsp parmesan cheese
o 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1. Wash and pat dry chicken
2. Dip chicken in olive oil
3. To make flax breading, combine the bread crumbs, flax seed, garlic powder, black pepper, parsley, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning in a plastic bag, seal and shake to blend.
4. Coat chicken in the flax breading.
5. Place breaded chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake, uncovered, in a 375-degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is done and a golden brown.
Nutritional Info: Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232.8 Total Fat: 10.8 g Cholesterol: 49.6 mg Sodium: 103.5 mg Total Carbs: 10.8 g Dietary Fiber: 4.9 g Protein: 24.0 g
Garlic Roasted Asperagus
o 1 lb asparagus spears (thick spears are best for roasting)
o 1 Tbsp olive oil
o 2 cloves garlic, minced
o Black pepper
o Lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse clean the asparagus. Break the tough ends off of the asparagus and discard.
2. Roll the asparagus back and forth until they are all covered with a thin layer of olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Rub over the asparagus so that they are evenly distributed.
4. Place pan in oven and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork.
5. Drizzle with a little fresh lemon juice before serving.
Note: To test the freshness of asparagus, snap off a bit of the stalk near the base. If it's rubbery and simply bends, it is not fresh.
Nutritional Info: Amount Per Serving: Calories: 56 Total Fat: 3.1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 76 mg Total Carbs: 5.2 g Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g Protein: 2.6 g