Southwest Chicken Pile-Up
• 1 tsp. salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 small (1/4-pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast , trimmed of visible fat
• 1 whole-wheat pita (6 1/2" diameter)
• 2 Tbsp. hummus, preferably red-pepper flavor
• 2 Tbsp. no-salt-added canned black beans, drained
• Several red onion strips
• Several red bell pepper strips
• 2 Tbsp. chopped tomato
• 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 2 Tbsp. finely shredded Cabot 75% Light Cheddar Cheese
• 4 tsp. guacamole or fat-free sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Preheat a grill to high heat.
2. Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder evenly over the chicken. Grill Chicken for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
3. Place the pita on the grill rack and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted. Place the pita on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread evenly with the hummus. Top evenly in layers with the beans, the reserved chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato, cilantro, and cheese.
4. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 4 wedges. Top each wedge with a teaspoon of guacamole or sour cream, if desired
4 slices yields: 356 Calories, 38g Protein, 38g Carbohydrates, 6g Fat (1g saturated), 68mg Cholesterol , 8g Fiber, 489mg Sodium
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
3 sweet potatoes, cut into thick French fries
2 Tbs. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil which is coated with a little olive oil or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. In a plastic baggie, add all ingredients. Close baggie tightly and toss until potatoes are well coated. Place potatoes onto foil in a single layer. Bake for about 40 minutes, flipping potatoes half way through. Potatoes should be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Especially Good Sweet Potatoes
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch-thick rounds
½ cup raisins
½ cup unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1 ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg, or equivalent ground nutmeg
¾ cup unsweetened soymilk
½ cup orange juice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Layer sweet potatoes, raisins, coconut and nutmeg in a 9x13inch casserole dish and then drizzle all over with soymilk and orange juice. Cover with foil and bake until almost tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender and coconut is golden brown, about 10 more minutes.