PRYOR, OK -- An accidental release of anhydrous ammonia late Thursday morning did not pose any hazards to the public, and residents do not need to stay inside their homes, authorities state.
Assistant Pryor Fire Chief Sherman Weaver said that despite some news reports to the contrary, there was never any danger to the community from the leak at a chemical plant at the Mid-America Industrial Park.
The Pryor Fire Department and mutual aid responders stood by as a precaution after they were called to the site at 10:45 Thursday morning, he said. Plant employees took care of the leak themselves, and the chemical was contained to the property.
It did not spread to any surrounding residential areas, and residents can feel free to leave their homes as usual, he stressed.