Tulsa Quarry Wreck Lawsuit Filed By Victim's Family


Thursday, October 15th 2009, 6:23 pm
By: News On 6


By Chris Wright, The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- Three people were killed last month when their pickup truck plunged 15 stories into a north Tulsa Quarry. Family members of one victim have now filed a wrongful death lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed in Tulsa County District Court, claims both the driver of the pickup and the company that operates the quarry is responsible for the crash and should be held accountable.

After a frantic two-hour search, first responders found the lone survivor of the gruesome wreck.

Nineteen-year-old Amanda Stone was one of four people in the pickup that jumped a barrier and plunged 150 feet to the bottom of a quarry.

"I just think it's a random cliff," Stone  said when she called 911. "I don't even know where I'm at.  You might need a Life Flight to spotlight. There's three other people with me. I can't get them to respond.  I think they're dead."

9/5/2009  Related Story: EMSA Releases 911 Tapes In Tulsa Rock Quarry Crash

The other victims, 21-year-old Andrea Merriman, 23-year-old Mark Gaches and 24-year-old Troy Adams were killed. Merriman's family is now suing Adams, who was driving, as well APAC, who runs the quarry.

The lawsuit says APAC is responsible for "negligently maintaining and operating the premises upon which Ms. Merriman was killed."

The company's quarry starts where 129th East Avenue ends. Several boulders act as a barrier, but the airborne truck cleared them that night.

Police at the time said high speed and alcohol were to blame for the crash. The Merrimans say APAC also bears some blame, and that is the reason for this wrongful death lawsuit.

Neither the Merriman's lawyer nor an APAC representative was available for comment Thursday afternoon.

9/5/2009  Related Story: Three Killed, One Injured In Tulsa Rock Quarry Wreck