TULSA, OK -- The Tulsa Aviator's Arrow guided Charles Lindbergh to the city in 1927. Now it has been restored to its former glory in the Reservoir Hill area.
The historic landmark, made of crushed white marble, is composed of 50-foot letters that spell "TULSA," and an arrow pointing to the then location of the city airport. It guided aviators including the famed Charles Lindbergh.
When the sign first was built on top of the Reservoir Hill water storage tank, the arrow pointed to Tulsa's airport at McIntyre Field, near Admiral Boulevard and Sheridan Road. The new version of the sign was built 300 feet east of the original location and points to the present-day Tulsa International Airport.
Mayor Kathy Taylor, joined by City Councilor Jack Henderson, County Commissioner John Smaligo, and the Reservoir Hill Neighborhood Association, gathered on Saturday to celebrate the project.
Through the Vision 2025 Neighborhood Fund, the City of Tulsa has received $2.2 million for projects in 100 neighborhoods citywide. The nearly $24,000 project in Reservoir Hill is part of the third and final phase of Tulsa projects constructed using this fund.
According to Reservoir Hill Neighborhood Association President Dave Keener, Reservoir Hill residents wanted their Vision 2025 project to reflect the historical significance of their neighborhood, as well as to honor the place that aviation holds in Tulsa's past, present and future. Residents provided labor to construct the project, and residents also will maintain the project for years to come.
The Reservoir Hill neighborhood began in 1923, when the City of Tulsa had acquired a new water source. Water began to flow from Lake Spavinaw to Tulsa through two newly created pipelines to Lake Yahola, next to Mohawk Water Treatment Plant. After treatment, the water was pumped up to a storage tank at the top of Reservoir Hill for distribution to the city. This tank still provides water to Gilcrease Hills, as well as downtown and midtown areas of Tulsa.