Ammonia Leak Causes Home Evacuations Near Pawnee


Saturday, July 18th 2009, 9:43 am
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

SKEDEE, OK -- Dozens of homes were evacuated Saturday morning due to an ammonia pipeline leak in the town of Skedee, a community northeast of Pawnee.

No one was injured and the leak was quickly repaired, according to the Pawnee County Sheriff's Office.

The American Red Cross opened a shelter due to the chemical spill, according to spokesperson Nellie Kelly. The shelter was opened at the First United Methodist Church, 800 6th Street, Pawnee.

Kelly reports the shelter is no longer needed and residents are able to return home.

The Red Cross served 112 meals and drinks to workers and about 55 residents.