1 box of reduced sugar white cake mix
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
¼ cup canola oil
1, 15 oz can of pumpkin
½ cup egg substitute
1 cup water
8 oz fat free cream cheese
1 cup Reddi-whip original
4 Tbsp canned pumpkin
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and ground flaxseed.
3. In another bowl, combine canola oil, canned pumpkin, egg substitute, and water.
4. Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
5. Spoon or pour batter into 30 cupcake liners.
6. Place in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes.
7. While cupcakes are baking, make the icing.
8. To make the icing, remove cream cheese from refrigerator and mix until softened. Add the whipped topping, Splenda, canned pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice.
9. Allow icing to set in freezer for ~20 minutes to set up.
10. Once cupcakes have baked and cooled, apply icing and serve immediately.
11. Garnish with raisins and/or pecans if desired.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Nutrition information per cupcake with 1 Tbsp icing: 126 calories, 2.8 gm protein, 20 gm total carb, 4.7 gm total fat with 1.1 gm saturated, 0.6 mg cholesterol, 1 gm fiber
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 fat
Each pumpkin cupcake provides 2/3 of the daily value for vitamin A
and 346 mg of omega 3 fatty acids.
Source: Recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD