1. Remove thawed cauliflower from bag and place in a colander to drain. After cauliflower has drained, chop into evenly-sized pieces.
2. In a pan, melt 2 Tbsp light margarine over medium to high heat and sauté the leek and garlic for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a shaker cup with a tight fitting lid, mix the milk and cornstarch together to create thickened milk.
4. Pour the thickened milk into a separate pan and stir for about 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring often to prevent burning.
5. Once the milk has started to simmer, stir in ¼ cup parmesan cheese, sea salt, white pepper, paprika, and parsley. Stir until the cheese is melted.
6. Remove sauce from heat and stir in the sour cream and leeks until all are evenly mixed.
7. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the potatoes, cauliflower, and sour cream sauce.
8. Pour the mixture into a square glass baking dish.
9. Cover with the swiss cheese and the remaining parmesan cheese. Dust with additional paprika if desired.
10. Cover dish with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per ½ cup serving: 207 calories, 10 gm protein, 25 gm total carbohydrate, 7 gm total fat with 4 gm saturated fat, 2.4 gm fiber, 297 mg sodium.
1 serving of cheesy cauliflower bake provides nearly 1/3 the daily value for Calcium. Frozen corn or peas may be substituted for the cauliflower if desired.
Source: Recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD St. John Medical Center