Fire Destroys Two Century-Old Buildings


Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 7:50 am
By: News On 6


HENNESSEY, Okla. (AP) -- Faulty wiring is the suspected cause of a fire that destroyed two historic buildings in downtown Hennessey and damaged two others.
Fire Chief Bert Gritz says it appears the fire started in a building that housed the American Legion then spread to the Odd Fellows Lodge.

Both buildings were more than 100-years-old and both were destroyed by the fire late Sunday.

A building housing the oil company Twenty-Twenty has smoke damage and an abandoned building has smoke and water damage because of the fire.

About 40 firefighters from Hennessey, Enid, Dover, Kingfisher, Okeene, Cashion and Guthrie fought the blaze.

Related story:

10/01/2007 - Downtown Fire Destroys Two Buildings