The Facts About Flood Insurance

Thursday, July 5th 2007, 8:54 pm
By: News On 6

Governor Brad Henry has asked the White House to approve a disaster declaration for Comanche, Ottawa, Pottawatomie and Washington counties, where more than 800 homes have been damaged by floodwaters since Memorial Day weekend. If President Bush declares the flooded areas a major disaster thousands of victims will receive federal aid. But News On 6 anchor Omar Villafranca reports without federal help only homeowners with flood insurance will receive monetary help.

Most people don't think about flood insurance until it's too late. The damage caused by rising waters in Oklahoma and Kansas this week has some people thinking about buying it, but how do you know if you need flood insurance? Flood insurance, and all the requirements are run by the federal government. You can check what kind of flood zone you live in by logging on to several websites, like, which is a government website that will tell you what kind of flood risk area you live in.

Is flood insurance is mandatory? If you live in a low to moderate flood risk area you don't have to buy flood insurance. But if you are buying a house in a high risk area, and a bank is helping you finance the house the bank requires buyers to get flood insurance.

What does flood insurance cover? Flood insurance will cover damage to a home, up to $250,000. The policy will also take care of damage to any contents in the home up to $100,000.

If the forecast calls for heavy rains and possible flooding scrambling to buy flood insurance won't protect your home. A flood insurance policy takes effect 30 days after it’s purchased.

Watch the video: Flood Insurance Information

For more information on flood insurance, and to see what kind of flood risk area you live in, visit

For more flooding information, check out our STORM ZONE web page.