Tulsa house fire results in several injuries
Wednesday, September 15th 2004, 5:59 am
By: News On 6
A late night fire Tuesday keeps Tulsa firefighters busy. And it causes an unusual turn of events. Fire crews were called to a home in near 91st and Mingo around 10:30 Tuesday night.
When they arrived, the garage was burning out of control. Neighbors say a woman was smoking in the garage and somehow lost her cigarette, setting the garage on fire. Neighbor Ben Gentry: "As she came out of the garage screaming, people came outside. At that time, the fire had already started. So we called the fire department and by the time the fire department showed up the whole garage was in flames."
Four people living in the home made it out safely. Damage is estimated at $100,000.
Authorities say a Good Samaritan trying to help put out the fire caused another accident. His truck slipped out of gear and cruised down the street slamming into a mailbox and a parked car.
Two firefighters were also treated for injuries. One suffered minor burns to his legs. Another was treated for smoke inhalation. Both are expected to be OK.