House fire blamed on faulty wiring


Monday, December 8th 2003, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


A weekend fire has left two brothers homeless. But they can thank a four-legged friend that they're even alive.

Jimmy and Benny Cole were fast asleep in their childhood home at 1512 East 66th St North, when Jimmy says he felt his dog licking his face. That's when he realized his house was engulfed in flames.

The brothers bought the home from their father ten years ago. They both made it out of the house safely thanks to their beagle terrier named "Shady Lady.” They lost everything and their dog lost a puppy in the fire. Reporter: "If it hadn't been for the dog where would you be?” Jimmy Cole: "We would have died. The dog lost his babies trying to save our lives. She's looking for her baby."

The Coles are living with their sister for now. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage. Investigators say faulty wiring caused it.