Five die in Chicago apartment fire
Friday, March 2nd 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
CHICAGO (AP) _ Fire broke out in an apartment building, killing five people, including a woman and her baby grandson.
Patty Ball, 66, was baby-sitting her grandchildren during the Thursday fire on the city's South Side. The blaze killed 7-month-old Kevon Ball and his uncle, Ernest Ball, 42, police said.
Amir Ball, 4, whose relation to the victims was not known, was in critical condition with burns and smoke inhalation at the University of Chicago Children's Hospital, a spokeswoman said.
The fourth victim is Elmo Boatman, 60, Chicago police spokeswoman Patrice Harper said Friday morning. She could not confirm the name of the fifth victim.
Surae Dangerfield was driving past the building when she saw fire pouring from the first floor.
``We ran to the front door and started pulling people out,'' she said. ``I carried the baby out.''
Four people died at the scene and the grandmother died several hours later at an area hospital.
Police said a faulty electric space heater was suspected in the fire.