Smart Woman: PLAY! Just What the Doctor Ordered
Thursday, November 4th 1999, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
Five Benefits of grown-up fun:
- It makes your more flexible and creative.
- It reduces stress.
- It allows you to feel less anxious and more in control of your life.
- It helps you maintain physical health later in life.
- It creates a mental â€œclickâ€ that helps people to sort things out in their minds.
Definitions of play and work:
Dr. Lenore Terr, M.D. is the author of the book â€œBeyond Love and Work. . . Why Adults Need To Playâ€. She defines play as â€œactivity directed primarily at personal and family sustenance, the achievement of power, the making of societal contributions.â€
Tips on Creating an Adult Playground
People were born to play in different ways. So do what feels best and create your playground with these tips in mind:
- The first step is making the decision to play.
- Adult play can involve something new or an activity one enjoyed as a child in a more sophisticated way. For example, if you liked to dance around as a child, you might enjoy social dancing now.
- Frequency matters more than duration. Play at least three times a week. Youâ€™ll get the benefits whether itâ€™s for five minutes or two hours.
- Healthy play doesnâ€™t include gossip, cruel teasing, life-and-death struggles or other means of hurting people.
- When involving more than one player, there must be an agreement to play.
For more information, contact:
Rebecca Sladek Nowlis
333 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94143-0462
Telephone (415) 476-2557