New laws govern farm vehicles, boats, motors

Wednesday, October 20th 1999, 12:00 am
By: News On 6

The rules will change beginning Nov. 1 on what type of vehicles will qualify for a low-priced farm license tag.

The biggest change is that sports utility vehicles and vans will no longer be eligible for farm truck registration.

That means some vehicles that used to carry a tag cost of $35will have a cost of 1.25 percent of the factory-delivered price, the same motorists pay now for non-farm and non-commercial cars and trucks.

Only pickups and trucks specifically defined under Oklahoma law will remain eligible for new farm truck registration or renewal.

Vehicles that have a current farm tag will not be affected until the tag expires.

The new definition defines a pickup as a small, light truck with an open back or box that is used for hauling and designed primarily
for carrying cargo instead of people.

A farm truck has been defined as a motor vehicle designed or converted primarily for hauling farm commodities, property,
livestock, or equipment, rather than people.

Truck tractors will remain eligible for farm truck registration.

Beginning Nov. 1, the only allowed documentation for a farm truck registration will be a Schedule F from the most recent
federal income tax return, or an Agricultural Exemption permit number that is assigned by the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Paula Ross, Oklahoma Tax Commission spokeswoman, said questions about the change should be directed to the Motor Vehicle Division of the Tax Commission at 405-521-3101.

Also taking effect Nov. 1 are new guidelines for registration and titling of boats and outboard motors.

A seller of a boat or outboard motor will now be required to sign a notarized statement verifying that the serial number of the boat or motor being sold matches that of the ownership document being transferred to the buyer.

Verification forms are available at tag agencies or from the Tax Commission website at, Ms. Ross said.