Canadian County church fire


Monday, March 21st 2005, 6:21 am
By: News On 6


CORBETT, Okla. (AP) -- An early morning fire that destroyed a church in Canadian County may have been caused by a heater for the baptismal pool.

The fire, which began early Sunday morning, was reported by neighbors who noticed the blaze.

Lexington Fire Chief Harry Grider says it took more than four hours to get the fire under control.

The church's pastor told firefighters he left a heater on inside the church the night before to heat the baptismal pool water.

While the church was a total loss, the pastor told officials that the church has insurance.

The fire caused an estimated $300,000 in damage. The state fire marshal's office is investigating the blaze.