Anna Nicole Smith Autopsy Delayed
Thursday, March 8th 2007, 9:05 pm
By: News On 6
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) _ An autopsy report expected to detail how Anna Nicole Smith died has been delayed because police have turned over new evidence, the Broward County medical examiner said Thursday.
The medical examiner, Dr. Joshua Perper, said the autopsy tests have been completed and were supposed to be released later this week. But the Seminole Police provided him with new evidence, he said.
Gary Bitner, a spokesman for the Seminole Tribe and its police department, said the evidence provided by the tribe was turned over promptly. Neither Bitner nor Perper would say what the evidence was.
``This is not delayed evidence this is just additional evidence that has come to light during the course of the investigation,'' Bitner said.
Perper's secretary said the autopsy would be released in the next week or two.
Smith died Feb. 8 after being found unresponsive at a Florida hotel. A day later, Perper released a preliminary autopsy that showed no immediate indication of a drug overdose and no sign of major external injuries on the 39-year-old former Playboy playmate and reality TV star.
Her death sparked several legal proceedings, including one over the custody of her infant daughter. Three men have stepped forward and say they are the baby's father. A lengthy legal fight also ensued over who controlled her remains. She was ultimately buried in the Bahamas last week.
Telephone calls made by The Associated Press to attorneys for Smith's boyfriend Howard K. Stern, mother Virgie Arthur and Larry Birkhead, who claims to be the father of Smith's baby, were not immediately returned.