State lawmaker proposes group home permits

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 11:25 am
By: News On 6

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Opening a group home in a residential area may soon require a special-use permit.

Currently, some group homes are considered single-family residential and don't need a separate permit to reside in a neighborhood.

Democratic state Senator Debbe Leftwich filed a bill in response to residents of a southwest Oklahoma City neighborhood.

The residents complained after the state Department of Human Services bought a house for unwed mothers in state custody.

Oklahoma City officials say DHS needs a special permit to operate the house where five teen mothers and their babies will live under state supervision.

But department officials say the group home falls under single-residency zoning.

Neighbors say they weren't notified of the intended use of the house by DHS and complained that it will blight their neighborhood.