Tulsa Police investigating abduction of mother and infant

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 10:03 am
By: News On 6

A Tulsa mother and her 2-year-old daughter are safe after being abducted from their home Wednesday evening.

Five suspects were arrested in connection with the crime. Tulsa Police believe the victims could have ended up in Texas, if not for a quick-thinking Henryetta police officer. News on 6 Reporter Ashli Sims has the latest on the investigation.

A worried mother called Tulsa police to a house, near 68th and Quincy Thursday night around 8. Tulsa Police officer Verna Wilson: "she said three men came out of the house with her daughter Regina and they got in a burgundy or maroon 4 door vehicle."

Police believe 20 year old Regina Primeaux and her 20-month-old daughter, Bella, were forced into a car at gunpoint. Investigators worked with a cell phone company to track the victim's phone to a hotel, near 31st and Memorial.

They found four men they believe were involved in the abduction, along with thousands of dollars and drugs. Tulsa Police arrested Eric Bickham, Juan Chavez, Tony Medina, and Mir Paul Tabayi, but there was no sign of Primeaux or her baby. Tulsa Police Captain Rick Helberg: "the desk clerk said the victim the baby and two subjects left the hotel just before the officers arrived."

Shortly after the arrests in Tulsa, police got a call from officers in Henryetta. They say they stopped Jose Medina for speeding and tailgating on US Highway 75. The Henryetta officer says the driver was acting suspiciously, so he put Medina in his patrol car. That's when Henryetta Police say Primeaux told officers she'd been abducted.

Both mother and daughter were returned to Tulsa safely.

Tulsa Police believe Regina Primeaux and her daughter were taken hostage because the suspects wanted to get money out of Primeaux's fiancé.

Officers say charges of kidnapping for extortion, burglary, and felony possession of a weapon are pending. All of the suspects are out on bond.