Monday, December 10th 2007, 4:21 pm
News On 6
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- 6 servings, 2 enchiladas each
- Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped bell pepper
4 veggie breakfast sausage patties, chopped
2 ½ cups egg substitute
½ cup nonfat milk
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce, red or green
12 flour tortillas (~6 ½ inches in diameter)
2 cups shredded light Mexican cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-x 13- inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion and peppers sauté 1-2 minutes. Add sausage and continue to cook. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl combine egg substitute, milk and cumin, whisk together and add to skillet. Cook until egg mixture is thickened but not over done. Stir as needed to ensure mixture does not stick to the pan. Remove from heat.
3. Pour ½ can of enchilada sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Fill each tortilla with approximately 1/3 cup egg mixture and 1-2 tablespoons cheese; roll up and place seam side down on enchilada sauce in baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and pour on enchilada sauce.
4. Bake uncovered approximately 20 minutes or until heated throughout.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 440 calories, 34g protein, 42g carbohydrate, 15g fat, 6.6g saturated fat, 16mg cholesterol, 4.8g dietary fiber, 1300g sodium
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
- Adapted recipe by Rachel Cly Vincent, RD, LD, Siegfried Health Center, St. John Medical Center