60 Residents Still Displaced After Being Forced Out Of Vista Shadow Mountain Apartments

Thursday, September 16th 2021, 3:12 pm
By: Kristen Weaver

TULSA, Oklahoma -

Dozens of former residents of the Vista Shadow Mountain apartment complex are still living in hotels, weeks after they had to move out. 

Some of the residents have recently found new homes, thanks to volunteers. There are still about 60 people living in hotels,-- after unsafe conditions forced them out of Vista Shadow mountain. But those who have found a permanent home said they're thrilled.

Step inside Donald Cody's new apartment. It’s slowly becoming home, and for Cody, the new space means the world.

“It's pretty cute," Cody said.

Two months ago, the Tulsa fire marshal told him and every other resident at the Vista Shadow Mountain Apartments at 61st and Memorial to pack up and move because the whole complex was deemed unsafe. Cody said he lived with black mold and terrible conditions for three years.

“It was July 11, and we had 10 days to get out," he said.

Cody lived in a hotel for several weeks until he found a new apartment. 

“I hope I never do it again," he said. "It was once in a lifetime-- my first time and I hope it's my last time.”

He may be out, but many displaced residents are still in hotels because of a major housing shortage.

"Those 60 in a hotel, by definition they are still homeless," said Joey Reyes,

Joey Reyes with nonprofit James Mission has been helping residents since the very start and said he and other volunteers are still working tirelessly to get every single person the supplies and assistance they need.

“It's difficult when you're going through something you can't control, like losing your home, your stability," Reyes said.

As for Cody, he is just so thankful to be out of a hotel.

"I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies."

He hopes his friends from Vista Shadow Mountain will soon find new homes.

"We’ll continue this until the last one is gone," said Reyes about moving people into permanent housing.

Court records show a class-action lawsuit filed against the apartment complex was recently transferred to federal court and is still ongoing.