Cooking Corner: Red Pepper Walnut Bites
Monday, December 13th 2021, 1:19 pm
News On 6
Today at the Cooking Corner, Heather Berryhill shows us how to make Red Pepper Walnut Bites.
- ½ cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 7.3-oz. pkg frozen puff-pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- dried oregano, toasted sesame seeds, and flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add peppers, walnuts, oil, lemon juice, cumin, kosher salt, and garlic until smooth,
- about 30 seconds.
- Unfold 2, thawed pastry sheets on a clean, lightly floured work surface. Lay one sheet down, then add
- the other sheet directly under the first to make one, long sheet. Use a rolling pin to lightly smooth out the
- Spread a light layer of the red-pepper mixture over the bottom half of the top pastry, leaving a ¼-inch
- border. Repeat on bottom pastry sheet.
- Fold the top layer in half toward you and press borders with fingertips to seal. Repeat of bottom pastry
- On a cutting board, lay first filled pastry sheet down. With longest side facing you, use a pizza cutter to
- cut 8 (½-inch wide) strips. Pinch short ends of 1 strip and twist. Tie into a loose knot, tuck in ends, and
- place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Brush knots with egg wash; top generously with oregano, sesame seeds, and flaky sea salt. Bake until
- golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Serves: 16