One Injured, Two Arrested Following Tulsa Shooting

Tuesday, June 12th 2018, 4:42 pm
By: Amy Avery

Two people are on the run after a shooting that left one person injured.

Police have two people in custody, but are still looking for two others after they fired shots toward a man, hitting him in the shoulder and hitting a car and two houses in the process.

The injured man was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police say.

The shooting happened near North Peoria and East 56th Street North around 3:13 p.m.

Investigators are trying to piece together what led up to the shooting, which they believe could be gang-related.

“Real fast – bang, bang, bang – and that was it,” area resident Jacqueline Brewer said.

Brewer says she got up to get a glass of water when she heard gunshots and glass shatter, so she called 911.

“It’s a blessing that I didn’t get hit because I would’ve normally been in the front room,” she said.

Officers say that they were patrolling as usual in the neighborhood when they came across a man with a gunshot wound to the shoulder.

“They kept flagging us down, so we got out to see what was going on and they told us one of them had been shot,” said Corporal Rusty Brown.

During the gunfire, two homes and a car were also hit.  Luckily, no one sustained life-threatening injuries, but Brown says they see this a lot in gang shootings.

“That’s what’s unfortunate about the gang violence is that people don’t care and they’ll just start shooting and they don’t actually hit who they are intending to shoot,” he said.

Police say the victim was able to give a good description, which helped them locate the suspects very quickly, but led to a short pursuit that ended when the suspect’s vehicle crashed.

“I got that on the radio as quick as I could, and within probably 10 or 15 seconds of me giving that, officers in my unit actually located that vehicle a mile away,” Brown said.

Neighbors say they don’t see a lot of gang activity in the area, but know anything can happen anywhere.

Brewer says, “I’ve been here over 40 years and this is the first time in a long time that we’ve had anything.”

Officers say they are still looking for two people and they have a good idea who one of the two is, but they aren’t releasing a description to the public at this time.