Firefighters Battle House Fire In Tulsa Neighborhood


Monday, June 27th 2016, 7:38 am
By: Dee Duren


Tulsa firefighters battled to contain a very persistent house fire near 91st and Memorial Monday morning.

Several people called in the fire just before 6 a.m. The two-story home is located west of Memorial and just south of 91st Street.

Massive flames and heavy smoke poured from the roof. The house is for sale and no one was there at the time of the fire, according to authorities.

Tulsa Fire Captain Stan May said the fire was sparked by an electrical issue. Firefighters had to back out of the house due to electrical arcing. They worked for about an hour to put out the flames.

Firefighters would get the flames knocked down but then they would roar back up through the roof. Public Service of Oklahoma was called to the scene to shut off electrical power.

The heat took a toll on firefighters who had to take breaks to drink fluids and cool down.

One firefighter was overcome by heat exhaustion and was taken to the hospital. He was sitting up and responsive when EMSA transported him.

May said that firefighter was released around noon Monday. He said he will be monitored and the City of Tulsa physician will decide when he can return to full duty.

At least a dozen fire trucks and at least 50 firefighters worked to save other homes.