Neighbors Wake Claremore-Area Family During House Fire


Saturday, August 15th 2015, 9:09 am
By: Dee Duren


Friends woke a sleeping family after seeing a fire that apparently started in a garage a little after 1 a.m. The fire quickly spread to the rest of the house located just outside Claremore off 4180 Road and Highway 66.

The neighbors saw flames, and the family was able to escape, according to homeowner Dennis Talley. He was able to get his wife and two daughters out of the burning house.

But the home, garage and a third building were destroyed.

North West Rogers County Fire Captain Luke Baines said the fire went from the garage to the attic while they were en route to the scene. Once that happened, the fire spread very quickly.

Because the roof was in danger of collapsing, crews could not make entry.

"Due to the decay of the fire, the amount that was burned, it's kind of hard to tell where the exact origin of the fire was, but the call did come in as a car on fire in the garage," he said.

Three different departments responded to the fire. Emergency personnel were able to save a motorcycle from one of the buildings, but family members say they're just glad everyone got out safely.

"I couldn't ask for nothing more," Talley said. He thanked his neighbor, Bubba Watkins, for helping them get through the loss unhurt.

Baines said Foyil and Claremore Fire Departments provided water and manpower, and Rogers County Deputies were a great help in salvaging property for the homeowners.

The Red Cross arrived on scene to assist as well.