• 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
• ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 18 miniature whole wheat buns
• Baby spinach leaves
• 3 Lower sodium bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
• Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1-1/2 cups pineapple (save remaining pineapple for another use). In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup reserved crushed pineapple, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties; place in two 11-in. x 7-in. dishes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice. Pour half of marinade into each dish; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once.
3. Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
4. Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
5. Grill buns, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with spinach, remaining pineapple, bacon and jalapeno peppers if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
*Note: If miniature whole wheat buns are not available, you can also use whole wheat hot dog buns cut into thirds.
Nutrition Facts: Serving: 3 sliders; 350 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 444 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Servings 6 or 18 sliders