Originally Published: Nov 5, 2009 3:22 PM CDT
Staff and Wire Reports
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association is investigating whether a Jones High School football player is eligible to play.
OSSAA Associate Director David Jackson said Thursday the organization began its probe after receiving an anonymous letter. Jackson said officials hope to complete the investigation by Friday.
Mike Clark of the OSSAA said Friday the player’s eligibility was denied. As a result, the Longhorns will likely have to forfeit six wins of the season. The OSSAA will hold an open agenda meeting Nov. 11 at 10 a.m. in which Jones is expected to make an appeal.
Oklahoma Sports will have more about the Nov. 11 open-agenda meeting, including updates on the Jones investigation and appeal.
Jones has a 7-2 record and is ranked ninth in Class 2A.You can see state-wide standings by visiting the Oklahoma Sports standings page.
On Wednesday, Tulsa school district officials forfeited a third football victory by Booker T. Washington High School after learning 37 students were ineligible because of bad grades. Last week, the revelation that six student athletes were ineligible because of transfer and recruiting violations led to sanctions against the school's athletic department.
Earlier, Jenks football coach Allan Trimble and two others were suspended after the OSSAA found recruiting violations by those within the program.