Beef Stew With Winter Vegetables
Monday, January 3rd 2011, 9:59 am
By: News On 6
- 2 ½ pounds lean beef stew meat
- 3 large carrots chunked
- 2-3 medium parsnips, chunked
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes Do not drain.
- 1 -14 1/2 -ounce can French-style green beans, drained
- 2-3 medium potatoes, chunked
- 1 10-ounce can beef consommé
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 bay leaf
- Layer beef, carrots, parsnips, onions, tomatoes, beans, and potatoes in that order in large stockpot. Combine consommé, wine, tapioca, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over meat and vegetables. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Lay bay leaf on top of bread crumbs.
- Cover pot and place in a 250 degree oven for 6-7 hours, stirring periodically to prevent sticking. Or…place in Crockpot on high for approximately 6 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serve in bowls with sourdough toast or in Panera bread bowls.