OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry has asked the White House to approve a major disaster declaration for 15 counties impacted in the first round of a series of violent storms last week.
Those storms left two dead and hundreds of homes and businesses damaged or destroyed.
Governor Brad Henry's request for individual assistance includes Mayes, McIntosh, Okfuskee, Okmulgee and Rogers counties in eastern Oklahoma.
Henry noted that other counties and communities including Tulsa were impacted by storms that occurred later in the week and he said authorities were still finalizing damage assessments in those areas so the state could expand its request for federal aid in the days to come.
"We will do everything we can to get every impacted community and citizen the assistance they need to rebuild and recover," said Gov. Brad Henry. "Oklahoma has endured a series of devastating storms over the last week and we will need federal assistance to make our communities whole again."
According to the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, the May 10-11 storms damaged nearly 1,500 homes and businesses, including 282 that were destroyed.
The governor's office says as reports of damage to homes and businesses in other counties are confirmed, more counties will be added to the declaration.